When patients and families are having difficulties managing the psychological, social and financial matters of illness, Long Island Community Hospital’s Department of Care Management is here to help.
We assist in planning for discharge and coping with illness, helping reduce the stressors of hospitalization and arranging for post-hospital services.
Staffed by care managers who are licensed Registered Nurses as well as social workers who are Master’s Degree prepared, we work collaboratively with the physician and care team to create and facilitate a discharge plan individualized to meet your specific post-hospital needs. Our staff is also responsible for setting up any equipment – such as a hospital bed, oxygen equipment or wound care supplies – as well as arranging specialized services such as Home Care that you may need to return home.
Working with your physician, we:
- Assist in the coordination of your medical and surgical care, as appropriate, while you are in the hospital.
- Assess your and your family’s needs and assist in identifying discharge planning options.
- Communicate with your insurance company to obtain benefits for hospital and post-hospital care you or your family may need.
- Provide referrals to outside agencies that can help with problems such as child care, housing or health insurance.
- Offer supportive and adjustment counseling, education and consultative services, as well as crisis intervention.
- Assess and report suspected abuse.
DURING YOUR HOSPITAL STAY
Every weekday, care progression rounds take place on each unit during which the care management team monitors and coordinates across the continuum of care to facilitate quality and cost-effective treatment in the most appropriate setting.
The care team will review your plan of care and any post-hospital needs. Together with you and your family, case managers and social workers will discuss care coordination, discharge planning and utilization review to assist in your return to the community. It is important that you and your family are aware of these rounds as you are partners with the physician and rest of the care team in making decisions about your in-hospital and post-hospital care plan. You can obtain further information from the Nurse Manager of the unit during your stay.
HOW TO CONTACT US
The Care Management Department is located on each floor of the hospital. You may speak with a social worker or care manager during your hospital stay during daily rounds, request the services of a social worker or have a family member, your physician or another healthcare professional request their services on your behalf.
To contact your social worker, either visit the nursing station on the hospital floor where you or your family member is staying and request to see a social worker or call the Care Management Department directly.
Our care managers and social workers are available:
- Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The main office number is 631.654.7748.